Torrey House Press publishes 10-12 books per year. We are currently accepting submissions for:
- fiction, including literary fiction, YA, and genre (mystery; thriller/horror; sci-fi/cli-fi; Indigenous futurism; afrofuturism; magical realism; fantasy; historical; romance; and/or nontraditional western, e.g. contemporary, urban, queer, etc.);
- full-length short story collections;
- creative nonfiction, including literary journalism;
- a graphic novel about the cutthroat trout;
- investigative nonfiction about the evils of cattle on public lands and/or how the unsustainable levels water used for alfalfa farming is probably damning us all;
- essay collections; and
- the occasional anthology, memoir, poetry collection, or full-length graphic novel.
Please see below for our specific submission guidelines. THP does not currently publish or accept submissions for children’s books (middle grade, early readers, or picture books).
We are interested in great writing that engages, in a wide variety of ways, with place, the natural world, and/or issues that link the Western United States to the past, present, and future of the ever-changing Earth. Torrey House Press was originally founded with a specific focus on the Intermountain West but, over the past thirteen years, has expanded its scope to include literature from the plains to the Pacific. (And yes, that includes Alaska and Hawaii!)
BIPOC writers, LGBTQ+ writers, and disabled writers are especially encouraged to submit. And, because climate justice is inherently intersectional and generational, we also encourage Millennial and Gen Z writers of all identities and backgrounds to submit.
We do our best to review submissions within 3-4 months, though our response timeline may be longer in certain instances. We understand that waiting can be trying, and we appreciate your patience. Emails, phone calls, or letters of inquiry will not hasten the process.
For fiction, short story collections, and essay collections, please submit full manuscripts. For nonfiction, please submit a query first and a full proposal upon request. Please note we only accept manuscripts and proposals via Submittable.
The review process for submissions can take 3-4 months, or longer in some instances. We understand what it’s like to await a response, and we appreciate your patience. Phone calls, emails, or letters of inquiry will not hasten the process.
FULL MANUSCRIPT GUIDELINES
for fiction, short story collections, and essay/poetry collections
You must include all of the following items in a single Word document:
- A brief synopsis of your book (1-2 paragraphs; i.e. “the pitch”)
- A detailed outline/synopsis of the full manuscript, covering all major plot, character, and thematic developments. (i.e. ALL the spoilers)
- How your submission fits with the mission and values of Torrey House Press
- Your bio, plus any additional information we should know about your background, expertise, network, public profile, etc.
- Marketing and readership development information such as:
- Your target audience (be specific)
- Comparable titles that illustrate the reader’s experience of your manuscript
- Any special publicity/sales potential (e.g. events where attendees will be interested in you as a speaker)
Please submit a one- or two-page overview of your book idea along with information about yourself, why you are qualified to write on the subject, who your audience is, and how you propose to market your work. If we think there is a reasonable chance that we might pursue your book, we will request a full proposal.
FULL PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
for nonfiction, upon request
You must include the following items in a single Word document:
- A cover letter
- A resume
- A preliminary table of contents
- A one- or two-paragraph summary of each chapter
- Marketing research such as:
- Descriptions of other books on the same or similar topic and an explanation of why your book is different
- Any special sales potential
- Events where attendees will be interested in you as a speaker
- Your target audience (be specific)
- Biographical material, expanded from that in the query letter
- Any completed sample chapters
Thank you for your interest in Torrey House Press.